The workshop is organized by the Department of Informatics, Systems and Communication of the University of Milano-Bicocca, which is located in the U14 building on Viale Sarca 336, Milan. The Information Day on “Research in Water Management” will be at Villa di Breme Gualdoni Forno (Building U46), which is located at Via Carlo Martinelli, 23, 20092 Cinisello Balsamo MI, Italia.
Villa Di Breme Gualdoni Forno is an eighteenth-century noble villa of Cinisello Balsamo, later remodeled in the early nineteenth century. Inserted within the western portion of the historic town of Balsamo, it is located at the convergence between Via Diaz and Via Martinelli, not far from the sanctuary of San Martino.
The current building dates back to the seventies of the eighteenth century, built on a preexisting elongated shape, found in the Teresian Land Registry as a rural property of Filippo Archinto. On the other hand, today’s scheme is irregular horseshoe-shaped, in which the main body – with the five-arched architraved portico facing west – overlooks the lower side wings. The villa has markedly neoclassical features, due to the stylistic renewal that took place between 1808 and 1814 at the behest of the Marquis Ludovico di Breme, its owner at the beginning of the century. Among the most significant interventions there is – on the front exposed at midday – the insertion of a raised tympanum, inside which is placed the frieze with the initials ABG (from the full name of the Marquis, Ludovico Arborio Gattinara di Breme).
Several were later transferred to the complex: in 1904 it was owned by Carlo Martinelli, then mayor of Balsamo; already two years later, in 1906 it passed instead to the Gualdoni family, which realizes rental lodgings, fragmenting their spaces and distorting their interior appearance. This period includes the insertion of a new staircase connecting the first and second floors and new mezzanine floors, with an obligatory reconfiguration of the lights.
After decades marked by improper use and abandonment, the villa is finally acquired by the municipal administration in 1999, which initiates a restoration and recovery work. At the architectural level of the exterior, the works see the insertion of technical volumes on the roof and of two attic windows, placed one on the central body, the other on the southern wing. Returned to the citizenship and officially inaugurated on 24 April 2009 in the presence of the local authorities, the complex is destined to the Bicocca University‘s high-level training center, which identifies it as a U46 building.
Of the original English park adjoining the villa to the south, an extremely reduced portion has remained; unchanged in size, however, is the front garden. Both, now public, are dedicated to the men of the escort of Giovanni Falcone and Paolo Borsellino who died in the massacres of Capaci and Via D’Amelio: in this regard the park is called the Angels.
The University of Milano-Bicocca was established in 1998, with the mission of making research the strategic foundation of all its institutional activities. Nowadays, it provides courses in several fields: economics and statistics, law, science, medicine, sociology, psychology, and pedagogy, with more than 30000 enrolled students in 2016. It is a young university, which in the space of few years has created an extensive cooperation network that includes many world-famous universities and research centers.
Milan is the capital of the Lombardy region, located in the north of Italy. With more than 3.2 million people living in the city and its surroundings, Milan is the most densely populated metropolitan area in Italy.
The history of the city dates back to before the conquest by the Roman Empire in the second century CE, after which the city was named “Mediolanum” (meaning “In the middle of the plain”, which referred to the position of the settlement in the Po Valley). Today, Milan is one of the biggest economic and cultural centers of the country, featuring many museums, theatres and historical landmarks attracting millions of tourists every year. The city is also near to several naturalistic sites of northern Italy, such as Lake Como, Lake Garda and the Alps.